In the past four months, thousands of users have signed up for Spundge accounts and have created a vastly diverse collection of Notebooks. Here are several tips to get our newest Spundge users up and running quickly.
1. Set yourself up for success
- Take the time to link your social media accounts. Linking to Twitter, Google+, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn sets you up for being able to share content from Spundge via those accounts later on. We also access your social graph to suggest relevant Notebooks for you to follow. But we never post without your permission!
- Install the Spundge It bookmarklet/Chrome extension so you can add content from anywhere on the web to your Notebooks. (Also learn how to master Spundge It!)
2. Help search engines and other people find you
- Make sure to fill in all the profile fields: avatar/photo, full name, location, title/position and web link.
- Fill out your bio with a description of the work you do and how it relates to the collection of Notebooks you’ll create. Here’s an example of a completed profile page that introduces the user and gives context to her Notebooks. It also helps search engines find her profile, and it makes it easy for other users to see if they want to connect with her and follow her Notebooks.
3. Start tracking your interests
- Start your first Notebook. Write a short 1-2 word title for it, as only one line of the title shows up above each Notebook on your profile page.
- Adjust the Notebook keywords to help you get the right results. Do the same for the Notebook firehoses and filters. Remember, Notebooks work best with a specific topic and focused keywords. A Notebook about social media and lawyers is better than one about social media in general.
- Go to the Notebook’s Settings tab (above the Notebook results stream) and add a brief description. This provides context for what’s in your Notebook to anyone who might have an interest in following it. It also helps search engines find it.
- Now start saving and removing items from the Notebooks’ results stream using the curation buttons.
- Repeat for other Notebooks!
4. Discover and follow useful Notebooks
- Go to the Notebooks You Might Like tab to discover and follow relevant Notebooks curated by other users. You’ll receive an email update when new content is added. Let them curate for you!
5. Connect and collaborate
- Find other Spundge users you know using our connections search. Then connect with them so you can now add each other to Notebooks as contributors. It’s easy to add your friends and colleagues to Notebooks once you’re connected on Spundge. Now you can collaboratively curate the best information and instantly share it with each other.
Bonus: Follow Spundge on Twitter and like us on Facebook for more tips